2018-19 Class Sessions
Spring Session: April 23 – May 28, 2019
Instructor: Genevieve Lawrence
Location: Art Studio A, 3rd Floor at SCCA
Ages: Adults, 16+
Registration required. Space is limited and classes are subject to participation minimums. Register online up to a week prior to a session starting or by calling 757-923-0003.
Class Detail: Learning to paint doesn’t have to be intimidating. With nearly twenty years of experience in oil painting, instructor Genevieve Lawrence will walk students through the basics of creating a painting from life. Students will learn under-painting techniques, color mixing, oil paint and medium properties, glazing, layering, and much more. This class is geared towards beginners, but all are welcome. *supplies list available on Suffolk Center’s website: suffolkcenter.org.
*This supply list can all be purchased online at www.dickblick.com This link takes you to a shopping list with exactly the materials you will need. (usually delivers within two weeks/also free shipping) or similar items can be purchased at Michael’s or Jerry’s Artarama. Just bring the list and ask a sales associate for help. If you can’t find the exact brands, just buy something similar.
Supplies list that students will need to bring to the first class:
- 8×10 in. drawing pad
- 6B drawing pencil
- Two 11×14 in. stretched and gessoed canvases (any brand)
- Painting Palette 11×14 in. or larger, preferably glass or plastic
- Blick Palette Knives by RGM, style 52 (metal)
- Two small glass jars (any kind will do, they don’t have to come from an art store)
- One Blick Studio Bristle Brush, filbert size 12
- One Blick Studio Bristle Brush, filbert size 6
- Three Blick Studio Bristle Brushes, filbert size 2
- One Blick Studio Bristle Brush, filbert size 0
- Blick Scholastic Wonder White Brushes (soft synthetic), filbert sizes 4 and 6
- Gamblin Galkyd oil painting medium, 4.2 oz.
- Gamblin Gamsol Oderless Mineral Spirits, 16.9 oz.
- Blick Studio Oil Colors (student grade) 37 ml tubes in colors: raw umber, burnt umber, raw sienna, burnt sienna, cadmium red hue, crimson alizarin, cobalt blue, ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow hue, lemon yellow, and titanium white
- Gamblin 1980 Oil Paint 37 ml tube in color Venetian Red
- 2 old rags or t-shirts cut into rags
- 1 roll paper towels
- a handful of Q-Tips